A liberal arts education has long been viewed as an excellent preparation for any career. The College of the Holy Cross - with its rigorous academic standards and Jesuit tradition - produces a higher level of creative thinkers, problem-solvers, and leaders.
Recognizing that internships are prerequisites for positions with the most competitive companies and prestigious organizations, the College has established the Summer Internship Program. The Holy Cross Summer Internship Program exists to provide exceptional Holy Cross undergraduates with opportunities to gain meaningful career-related experience in areas related to their occupational goals.
Custom-designed internships have been developed for the Program through the strong network of Holy Cross alumni, parents and friends nationwide. In addition to providing students with invaluable professional experiences, sponsoring employers have the opportunity to recruit high-achieving Holy Cross students prior to graduation. Former SIP students, now alumni, are “paying it forward” by providing internship opportunities at their organizations.
Interns function as entry-level professionals, fulfilling many of the same duties and responsibilities as recent college graduates hired by your organization. To complement the demanding liberal arts curriculum at Holy Cross, interns are delegated challenging and meaningful assignments, and have at least one defined project to complete.
Mentoring of the intern by a key member of your organization is crucial to professional and career development. Exposure to top management and attendance at regular staff meetings are essential to the workplace learning experience.
- There are typically between 360 and 410 sophomores and juniors in the Summer Internship Program each year.
- Each year, approximately 160 internships in various organizations and industries are offered.
- Employers rave about the work ethic and dedication of their SIP interns each year and most host SIP interns in subsequent summers.
- A committed team of professional staff involved in all facets of the program. Approximately 500 hours are dedicated to individual appointments each year to assist students with their internship search.
- Prescreened intern candidates possessing strong writing, oratory, and analytical skills matched with your particular field or industry.
- Continual support and follow-up by Holy Cross professional staff to maintain and evaluate internships to ensure students and employer satisfaction.
Holy Cross Points of Distinction
- The Alumni Factor, which ranks top US colleges according to graduate outcomes, rated Holy Cross #2 among liberal arts schools and #5 overall, which places Holy Cross among the finest colleges in the country. Holy Cross excels at developing graduates who are highly successful (ranked 9th in Financial Success), comprehensively developed, happy and loyal.
- PayScale.com rates Holy Cross number 7 among liberal arts schools for graduates’ starting and mid-career salary potential.
- Holy Cross is #13 on Kiplinger’s list of liberal arts colleges that combine "excellent academics while keeping costs to a minimum."
- Newsweek's "most rigorous" colleges list finds Holy Cross at #22.
- Among the Princeton Review's list of the 373 best colleges, Holy Cross ranked #12 for "most beautiful campus."
- Holy Cross is one of only a few elite colleges that accept students regardless of their ability to pay ("need-blind") and then meet 100% of demonstrated need.
- Students have access to a "large and strong alumni network." "Holy Cross alums are insane" about their alma mater, and they love to hire the latest batch of graduates. — Princeton Review.
- Holy Cross ranks #9 on U.S. News & World Report's 'Alumni's Top 10 Most Loved Schools.’
Visit our Testimonials page to see what SIP employers and interns have to say.
Message from Director, Pamela Ahearn: Internships are a critical part of the discernment process that students go through as they seek to determine a career path. They offer students the opportunity to gain practical experience in a professional setting. The Summer Internship Program provides students with internship opportunities created in collaboration with alumni and parents. SIP is unique in the thorough preparation students receive: through coaching, resume and cover letter reviews, interview preparation, and reflection during the course of the summer, SIP delivers an outstanding experience to students and internship supervisors. Since the summer of 1999, SIP has been recognized by alumni, students, employers, faculty and parents as an outstanding resource. It would be my pleasure to answer any questions you might have about the Summer Internship Program at Holy Cross.
For more information about SIP or to discuss a possible internship, contact:
Director, Summer Internship Program