You can help with the following actions:
- Report observations of excessive energy use and concerns to Physical Plant at x2263.
- Reduce plastic waste by using reusable water bottles. Hydration stations, which offer filtered water, are available at the following locations on campus: Kimball Dining Hall, Cool Beans 2, Hart Center (varsity training room), and Loyola Fitness Center. Plans are afoot to install more hydration stations across campus.
- Reduce space lighting by using fluorescent desk lamps instead of ceiling lights where possible
- Turn off all lights when leaving the room
- When not in use, computers should be shut down, or set to standby or hibernate mode. External monitors should be shut down when not in use. Consider changing your system backup schedules to run during the day rather than leaving your machine on overnight, and remember to turn off printers, scanners and other peripherals when not in use. (Note: Screen savers do not reduce energy use!)
- Turn off coffee makers, printers, and copiers when leaving at night and for the weekend.
- Keep exterior doors and windows closed unless it is a nice day out. Close the window when you leave the space.
- Laboratory fume heads should be shut down or closed when not in use to minimize exhaust needs.
- Unless necessary, take the stairs instead of the elevator.
- If you use either a ceiling fan or a small fan to move air for comfort, do not leave it running when you are away from your desk.
- Dress appropriately for the weather and have additional clothing available in case you are too cold in your space.
It does not use more energy to turn equipment on and off.